Confidential Materials Recycling
The UMN Recycling Program can provide locked containers and offer direct pickup from your office for sensitive or confidential paper. However, we are not HIPAA compliant. If you need a higher level of security, the University has contracts for confidential destruction vendors. Go to UMN Contracts and search under "category name" for Shredding & Document Destruction Services.
If you're unsure whether to use our services, please contact Susan McKinney in Records & Information Management at 612-625-3497 to verify if our services fit your needs.
Confidential recycling steps:
- Decide whether a temporary confidential hamper is needed (this will be dropped off and picked up upon request--but does not permanently remain in your department), or if your department would like to purchase, or has purchased, a confidential toter to remain in your office.
- Call 612-625-6481 to schedule a confidential toter or hamper to be dropped off or picked up at your office.
- Please allow for a few days for the hamper or toter to arrive.
- If using a temporary hamper, please fill within two weeks for pick-up.
- Call 612-625-6481 to schedule the pick-up of the hamper, or the emptying of a toter.
- Please allow for a few days for the hamper or toter to be picked up.