What is Mercury?

Mercury is a chemical element that is a liquid at room temperature.  Mercury has been used in thermometers, barometers, manometers and other scientific apparatuses.  Mercury is also used in electrical switches and thermostats, and can be found in fluorescent light tube and mercury vapor lights.

Mercury Exposure

The most common types of mercury exposure are absorption and inhalation of mercury vapors. Low exposures of mercury can cause muscle atrophy, nervousness, tremors and insomnia.  Higher levels of exposure can cause severe damage to the nervous system, damage to the gastrointestinal system and damage to the kidneys.

pool ball floating in cup of mercury

Work Requests

Use the Work Request Form (MS Word) to request services. Please email all work requests to

Additional Information