We observe Veterans Day this Friday, November 11. I like to reflect on the history and purpose of our national holidays. Veterans Day originated as “Armistice Day” on Nov. 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War I. Congress passed a resolution in 1926 for an annual observance, and November 11 became a national holiday in 1938. Veterans Day pays tribute to living veterans who served during war or peacetime. (Memorial Day honors American service members who died in service or as a result of injuries incurred during battle.) Dozens of veterans work in FM, so please join me in thanking them and their families for their sacrifices in serving our country.
As you know, tomorrow is voting day. Let’s show our support to our veterans by exercising a right that is not universal in all countries and not to be taken for granted.
- Nice work by Energy Management to execute a brief planned steam outage to ensure reliable heating this winter. Work occurred without a hitch. Bravo!
- West Bank Safety Days was a big hit as usual. Kudos to our WB team!
- Star Performer Award nominations are due Nov. 14. I urge you to nominate exceptional employees and colleagues. Here's access to the form.
- Employee Health and Benefits Fairs:
- Nov 15th, 10 - 3:30, North Star Ballroom, Student Center St. Paul
- Nov 16th, 10 - 3:30, Coffman Great Hall
- Benefits Advisor for 2nd/3rd shifts:
- Nov. 10, Moos Tower, B135 Carpenter Shop, 4 pm
- Nov. 14, Landcare Building muster room, 9:30 pm
- Nov. 16, (St. Paul) FM Building, room 215, 5 pm
- Nov. 17, (West Bank) Blegen Hall, room 425 5 pm
- Special Flu clinic for 2nd/3rd shifts: St. Paul Student Center room 202, 8 - 10 p.m.
Please make every effort to attend one of the All U Services Staff meetings. Interim Vice President Mike Berthelsen will share thoughts about what he’s learned in his new role and plans for the upcoming months.
2 - 3 pm B45 Ruttan Hall
10 - 11 pm Bell Museum Auditorium (late evening mtg)
9 - 10 am 2-650 Moos Tower
9 - 10 am 210 Anderson Hall
7:30 - 8:30 am 3-210 Keller Hall (early morning mtg)
1 - 2 pm 2-650 Moos Tower
10 - 11 pm B45 Ruttan Hall (late evening mtg)
Hats off to our veterans! Have a great week.