Meet our new training manager
We have completed a couple rounds of FM Employee Engagement surveys over the past few years and the results consistently reveal employee desire for additional training. Specifically, you asked for:
- More opportunities for learning and development
- Improved training to help new employees do their jobs well
We have made progress toward addressing these requests, and I am pleased to announce another big step forward in our training and development program. Lolita Johnson has joined the U-Services HR Team as a Training and Development Consultant. Lolita has over 15 years of training, design and development experience. She has worked in university, law firm, healthcare, real estate, and retail settings and was most recently with Merrill Corporation where she contributed to developing assessments, course design and delivery to support organizational training.
Lolita will work with FM to (1) assess training needs, (2) evaluate what is working well and what needs improvement, (3) prioritize efforts for the next few years, (4) offer structure around delivery methods (online, classroom, hands-on), and (5) propose ways to track attendance and monitor the effectiveness of our program. She will collaborate with both Hugh Reichert, Custodial Training Manager, and Brent Whittaker, EAM Training and Development Leader, who are already part of FM in formal training capacity. Many of you also contribute to training your co-workers and I appreciate your willingness to share your experience and elevate our overall departmental skills and abilities.
I am excited to continue improving our training and development program. This is clearly an interest for employees in all positions throughout FM, and research shows that strong organizational training programs are essential to deliver excellent results. I’d like to remind supervisors of the Onboarding Checklists for new employees which include basic training links. In addition, courses on Lynda.com and ULearn are available to all University employees. I also invite you to challenge the FM leadership team to deliver the training you need to be successful in your position and grow in your career.
Have a great week,
- As of today, supervisors of employees in bargaining units are being assigned employee reviews, due May 19. Civil Service and P&A employee self-reviews are due April 24 and their supervisor reviews are due by May 8.
- Consider an email to your representatives encouraging them to support the University’s core mission. In the current higher education bills the U is significantly underfunded. Contact your lawmakers (it takes less than 60 seconds).
- As a trade expectation for electricians working for the University of Minnesota, electricians are required to maintain a current First Aid/CPR certification. The next First Aid/CPR training sessions are on April 25, 26 and May 2, 3, 2017. All training sessions will be held at the 4th Street Switch location, will begin promptly at 7:15 A.M and are approximately 5 hours in length. To register, contact Sarah Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-624-3530 by Friday, April 14, 2015.
- Have an item to share with all FM? Send it to Christie Wells to be included in the Weekly Notes.